So, Kenny & I have survived our 1st week of Whole30 – three more weeks to go!
Here are my observations so far:
- I had a headache that hit me hard mid-afternoon the first couple of days, but they went away after the 3rd day.
- I didn’t realize it but chewing gum and mints are not Whole30 compliant due to the sweetener. And even though they are not ingested, the program still wants you to break your craving for anything sweet. This has been hard not because I crave anything sweet but rather because I really want to freshen my breath. Ugh.
- I am getting used to drinking unsweetened tea and black coffee (after drinking black coffee is when I really want that mint). It’s not delicious but it’s tolerable.
- I’m bored with the limited drink options we have so we bought some La Croix sparkling water. Also meh, but when you can only have water and unsweet teas, it’s something different.
- I’m struggling with some light snacking in the afternoon. I typically have some berries but I want to find something more savory because fruit is getting old. I don’t like nuts much but I am going to see if I can find some sort of seasoned nut mix in a local, non-specialty store that is compliant and doesn’t have peanuts or sugar (so far I’ve had no luck).
- With that in mind, I did find some fruit chips that are organic and have no added ingredients. The brand is called Naturally Bare. I bought several flavors. They are yummy!
- Kenny & I have found ourselves hungry a few times and have had the sugar crash but nothing too severe.
- I don’t feel like I’ve lost any weight yet, clothes feels the same way. Same energy level. Then again, it’s only been a week!
Week 1 Meals:
- White Cod with Mushroom & Red Pepper Relish with baked sweet potato fries (olive oil, salt & Penzey’s Tsardust Memories)
- Paleo Swedish Meatballs with steamed green beans
- Sausage, Mini Peppers & Artichokes (my own recipe)
- Paleo Chorizo Sausage Sweet Potato Frittata with caramelized onions
- Paleo Crockpot Beef Stew (used sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes)
- Kenny & Ziggy’s Corned Beef Hash – with 2 fried eggs; berries fruit cup on the side
- Alamo Drafthouse Movie Theater Cobb Salad – replaced blue cheese dressing with lemon vinaigrette (it still unexpectedly had blue cheese chunks so we worked hard to avoid eating any – I think I still accidentally ate a couple of chunks since this was while were watching a movie and it was dark).
- Outback 7 oz Grilled Salmon (no toppings) with a side of sauteed mushrooms
- Whole30 InstaPot Chicken Tikka Masala cooked by Sherry
- bananas for breakfast
- raspberries, cherries, blackberries, grapes, apples
- fresh mushrooms dipped in guacamole
- snap peas
- apple dipped in almond butter