I’ve been getting braver with my recipes… and today I took inspiration from a handful of frittata recipes to create my own version using what we already had on hand. I’m posting here my version to share and for me to remember my modifications for future reference. 🙂
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil (mine came from my garden), chopped or cut into strips
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or 4-cheese blend (use fresh)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Saute the onions in ghee in an oven safe skillet – preferably a 10″ cast-iron skillet.
- Start browning the Italian sausage in a separate skillet.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the onions a couple of minutes later.
- Cook the onions & mushrooms on medium heat until the mushrooms are cooked through – about another 5 minutes.
- While the onions & mushrooms cook, whisk the eggs, almond milk, cheese & basil in a bowl. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the browned sausage to the onions & mushrooms (be sure to drain the oil before adding).
- Add the egg mixture to the onions, mushrooms and sausage mix already in the oven safe skillet.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- If you’d like to brown the top, switch to the broiler setting and broil it for another 3-5 minutes.